Friday, January 23, 2009

where to begin

Well, that was easy. Setting up the blog was quite simple. Filling it with worthwhile words won't be so easy. Turning blogging into a habit -- even harder. Maybe, if I put the bobble-head Barry Manilow doll I got for Christmas here next to my screen, I could imagine that I am talking to him and then just blog away!

Yes, folks, that's right. I am a Barry Manilow fan. I began listening to Barry Manilow music way, way back in about 1800 something. (Actually, about 1976) That's right. That makes me an old fart. He is an even older fart. I have attended some of his concerts, sat in the front row, decorated his dressing room and had him engrave his autograph in two "One Voice" logo stained glass pieces I created for fundraising. R outbid everyone and bought them back; I have them in the windows of my piano teaching studio.

This morning MK and I attended our Friday morning Sr. Citizens' Writers' group. She is only 8 and has been a contributing member since she was four. They were skeptical the first time she came with me; but she was an angel and they readily accepted her and she has gone twice a month every month since.

MK has written poems and stories and reads them to the group. Visitors to the group raise their eyebrows when MK adds her comments and critique to the members when they read their stories; they soon learn that the members expect this from her. One member has just finished writing a play that she wrote with a part especially intended for MK. MK loves it and feels so honored.

The people in the group encourage her to write as often as she can. She has written several stories that came from her dreams. She sometimes wakes up ready to tell me her dreams, and we rush to the computer. She dictates, I type. Printing, and now cursive is too slow. Her typing is too slow. She is capable of all three, but her thoughts come too quickly for her current skill level. So, I type while she dictates. I try to leave everything as she says them, word for word with very little input from me. I only advise her of prominent grammar or structural problems. I want the story to remain hers. I feel if I import my thoughts or feelings, it will no longer be her story.

MK's method of writing inspired one of the men in the group who brought in a story today which he composed from a recent dream.

I didn't take any pieces of my own today. I seem to find little quiet time for reflection or any other kind of thinking that doesn't have to do with my copywriting job or my classwork. This old fart is working on her baccalaureate degree in professional writing. (I wonder if I'll live long enough to pay off the student loans.) I do find time to procrastinate.

MK is my niece. I am raising her. I practiced by raising my own daughter. I'm not sure I am getting it right this time, but the first one turned out pretty well. I have one grandson and two granddaughters. So far, they are pretty cool kids. They aren't perfect -- they're kids. But, they are kids that I can be very proud of. They are successful in just about everything they try. I actually do think they should have some failures so that they will know how to deal with failures in life; but they just keep being winners at everything. ;-)

I also have/had several piano students over the years and they all feel like grandchildren to me. They each have their places in my heart. The personalities are varied -- the tricks they try are old time, right out of the textbook. One seven-year-old recently tried everything she could to prolong, postpone, put off, dilly-dally -- whatever you want to call it -- and I told her what she was doing, and her eyes got big, she giggled, and asked, "How did you know?" Old farts are experts at prolonging, postponing, putting off and dilly-dallying. I know. I am one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Squash Bloom

Squash Bloom
I found a new setting on my camera for shooting flowers!

Bean #1

Bean #1
So far, we have three bean pods. Bugs are eating the leaves.

Bean #2

Bean #2

Bean #3

Bean #3

Second Strawberry

Second Strawberry
The birds found the first strawberry (pictured yesterday) and ate right out of the center of it! This is a new one that showed up today. I'm sure it will be gone soon. We have buds for more.

"FLOWERS" NOT

"FLOWERS"  NOT
Actually, squash, lettuce, flowers, and grass where we planted what were supposed to be flowers! This is what happens when children help you garden. But, the squash looks excellent!

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest
These are the beautiful squash plants growing where we planted what the package said was FLOWERS! Actually, I think MK may have mis-labled them in the spring planter box we started everything in.

Peony

Peony
The peonies were beautiful only a few days before being ruined by rain.

Leaf Lettuce

Leaf Lettuce
Recovering from being beat down by rain

First Harvest from Recession Garden

First Harvest from Recession Garden
This is actually from a "thinning" of the garden.

Parsley

Parsley

One and Only Strawberry

One and Only Strawberry
The birds had not found this strawberry, and so far, it is the largest one we've ever had left on the vine.

Onions

Onions
We planted MANY onions, but this is the only patch growing well. We thin it to get our green onions and they are tasty!

Potato Plants

Potato Plants
They are growing like crazy!

Hosta

Hosta
Aren't the leaves pretty?

Potato Plant Blooms

Potato Plant Blooms
Pretty light purple with bright yellow centers. I've never seen any before.

Our First Recession Garden Salad

Our First Recession Garden Salad

First White Rose of Summer

First White Rose of Summer
This is the first bloom on the white rosebush this spring.

Max the Mouse

Max the Mouse
Max the Mouse in Cinderella, Cinderella

Sledding Fun

Sledding Fun
FUN!

Sledding

Sledding
Another one bites the dust

More Sledding

More Sledding

Oh, that's gotta hurt!

Oh, that's gotta hurt!
And yet, another one bites the dust . . . er, snow.