Thursday, April 16, 2009

Re-learning Gardening

Well, my state tax payment was posted yesterday and away it went. It was more than double what the estimate was by TurboTax at the time I figured federal and state taxes in January. Oh well, why not?

We have actually started to do a tiny bit of planting outside . . . right or wrong, we're doing it. We have so little space that has full sun. We will just do our best, expecting little. This year is mostly going to be an experiment for us so that we can plan better next year.

What looks like great planting areas when you are looking out the window all winter begins to have a totally different appearance when you start to consider the leaves that are going to be on the trees soon. The soil condition is not the best in this yard either, but we'll work on that as we go along, also. If I can get some yummy tomatoes, at least, I'll be happy.

We planted some potatoes and MK's little flower starts today. We planned to plant onions but a neighbor lady from down the street stopped and the little ol' gal is obviously very lonely. She talked my arm off for over an hour. I tried to do a little work while she talked, but that made me have my back to her and I didn't want to be rude. She finally went on her way and I took a quick bathroom break, put all my tools away, cleaned up enough to teach piano, and then we went back out this evening.

A word of caution: stay a good distance away from MK when she is armed with a hoe. OMG! She couldn't hit a . . . a . . . a . . . well, anything! She was supposed to chop at some roots and she missed them by about 5 miles! Well, we know why she isn't playing softball or tennis or golf or anything that would require aiming and swinging. Whoo boy!

It looks like the only space that has full sun is the east little part of my front yard. It is also the spot with the thickest grass. ugh. I'll probably dig it up with a shovel. That should be absolutely difficult. I thought about renting a tiller, but it would be too costly for such a small area. So, I plan to do it by shovel and foot, and a little at a time if I have to. I should have started digging earlier, but it has been cold, rainy and nasty more than it has been nice. The nice days never fell on days I had available for yard work. I also need to mow, but the ground was still a bit muddy today. Maybe tomorrow it will be dry enough to give it a quick round with the mower/beast.

I saw an interesting article on Helium.com about lasagna gardening. Maybe that would be the way to go with so little gardening space available. I'll have to read more on that during next winter as I re-think my garden, based on results of this years' experimenting.

I still have another door to paint in my room, and then have to go back over it all for a second coat -- the entire closet still needs to be done, but I am still waiting on R to come work on the closet ceiling. I could paint before he comes, but he is never careful and I can guarantee that when he is through, he would have my new paint badly scuffed. We haven't started MK's ceiling or room yet. Waiting on ceiling work there also, and my office ceiling needs repaired. J is planning to do those for us, but I don't know when. I'm not in too big of a hurry to get to MK's room because I plan to do it when my closet is repaired and I can move back in my room, have it organized. Next, I'll get her room done and she will finally have her own room back after about a year. Maybe our house can get back to normal?? What is normal? I've forgotten. Little steps. Little steps. We'll get there.

Boss moved away two days ago. He moved back to Kokomo, IN. (he is the Great Dane) They were not there long. That family did not cause any trouble in the neighborhood, so I was hoping they would stay -- that is, if things didn't get wild over there when the weather stays warm. It always seems that the neighbors around here party and fight when they are able to be outside more and later at night, as it is light until 10:00 p.m. part of the summer now.

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought for the patch you are wanting (or not looking forward to) dig up.

    Instead of digging, How about laying old paper (or I can bring some feed bags) down and putting dirt on top of it.

    The paper will decay, prevent weeds, and the vegetables can still root through it and grow.

    ReplyDelete

Squash Bloom

Squash Bloom
I found a new setting on my camera for shooting flowers!

Bean #1

Bean #1
So far, we have three bean pods. Bugs are eating the leaves.

Bean #2

Bean #2

Bean #3

Bean #3

Second Strawberry

Second Strawberry
The birds found the first strawberry (pictured yesterday) and ate right out of the center of it! This is a new one that showed up today. I'm sure it will be gone soon. We have buds for more.

"FLOWERS" NOT

"FLOWERS"  NOT
Actually, squash, lettuce, flowers, and grass where we planted what were supposed to be flowers! This is what happens when children help you garden. But, the squash looks excellent!

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest
These are the beautiful squash plants growing where we planted what the package said was FLOWERS! Actually, I think MK may have mis-labled them in the spring planter box we started everything in.

Peony

Peony
The peonies were beautiful only a few days before being ruined by rain.

Leaf Lettuce

Leaf Lettuce
Recovering from being beat down by rain

First Harvest from Recession Garden

First Harvest from Recession Garden
This is actually from a "thinning" of the garden.

Parsley

Parsley

One and Only Strawberry

One and Only Strawberry
The birds had not found this strawberry, and so far, it is the largest one we've ever had left on the vine.

Onions

Onions
We planted MANY onions, but this is the only patch growing well. We thin it to get our green onions and they are tasty!

Potato Plants

Potato Plants
They are growing like crazy!

Hosta

Hosta
Aren't the leaves pretty?

Potato Plant Blooms

Potato Plant Blooms
Pretty light purple with bright yellow centers. I've never seen any before.

Our First Recession Garden Salad

Our First Recession Garden Salad

First White Rose of Summer

First White Rose of Summer
This is the first bloom on the white rosebush this spring.

Max the Mouse

Max the Mouse
Max the Mouse in Cinderella, Cinderella

Sledding Fun

Sledding Fun
FUN!

Sledding

Sledding
Another one bites the dust

More Sledding

More Sledding

Oh, that's gotta hurt!

Oh, that's gotta hurt!
And yet, another one bites the dust . . . er, snow.