Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Activities and more

I finished reading Frankenstein yesterday evening. I have to say that I would never have read this book in my life if I hadn't needed to for class. I have to do a critical essay now which requires me to think. That could be dangerous. Well, for no-one but myself. Anyway, I have to look for setting, plot, character and style development. I need to evaluate the written work: discuss my opinions, and look at various aspects: its ability to reflect the time period (historical critic); its reflections of female or male gender roles (sexual critic); its political/economical comments (political/social critic); and, its general comments on other ideas (new critic). What fun! This is my first essay for this instructor. New instructors make me nervous because I never really know what they expect and one poor grade could hurt my honors status.

I am now convinced that Bigfoot is real. He is actually Frankenstein's monster. He was indestructible and when he tried to take his own life (after all, the book only reveals his plans to kill himself -- it never actually goes on to detail his suicide ------oopsie! Spoiler Alert! Spoiled the ending, sort of.), he failed and he is to walk around terrorizing people for infinity. Now that I have solved the mystery of Bigfoot, on I go to solving the mystery of the Loch Ness Monster.

Speaking of honors status, I received my pin and certificate in the mail yesterday for Sigma Tau Delta National English Honor Society. I am qualified to compete for scholarships and awards from this organization. They have scholarships for Juniors/Seniors/Graduate Students. I wonder what my chances are. None, if I don't look into it and find out what there is available. I did look into it earlier, and it appears to be too late for this year, but next year looks good.

I did my first draft of the story I am writing for fiction class (same class of Frankenstein reading). I took it to writers' group Friday morning and read it to them. Since there were several other people with readings, I read the story quickly. Even reading it quickly, some of the others said that they were reading ahead of me to see what was happening next. So, that seems to be a good thing. They were very helpful in suggestions, and some suggestions fell right in line with what I thought I would need to work on as I progress with the story.

My intent was to get the main story and action down as far as I could take it, then go back and fill in some details and correct some things later. Some were (and they agreed): I need to go back and give descriptions of the characters; I need to tighten up the time frame of some of the happenings to fit better into the speed of the imminent danger; even though it is a science-fiction/horror, I need to check facts and make sure it is believable so that the reader is not turned off by something that couldn't possibly happen. I'm not far off, but want to be sure. Even science fiction needs to have some probability; and, I was undecided about the ending. I was trying to decide if I wanted to continue with some more adventures, or just leave it hanging so the reader can imagine what is to come next. This is how it is for now and they all seemed to like it ending that way.

This story is to be between 1,000 and 5,000 words and I am right around 2,000ish. It is due at the end of the semester, so I have time to work on it more. The other writers said they are quite willing to be my guinea pigs, so-to-speak, and let me read it to them another time or two. Their feedback is helpful, and reading it out loud to an audience helps you to hear how it reads. Having the chance to put it down a few days and going back to read it helps, too. You read it fresh that way and things come across differently.

The sunshine is deceivingly beautiful today. I sit here at my window and look out and am so tempted to sit on the swing, but it just isn't warm enough to really enjoy that. So, I'll remain content to look at it through the window.

Oh, be still, my heart! Yesterday (Valentine's Day), MK called R and asked him to get some "fake" flowers from Mr. T's shop, find a pretty basket and put them in it, then come to our house and pick me and her up for a lunch "date" at a nearby greasy-spoon-type diner. He did. He had hidden the flowers behind the seat and as soon as she got in, she got them and gave them to me saying they were from her and him. He did a nice job. Silly him. He has not been a romantic part of my life for many, many years, but he couldn't hide the look of pride in himself for having done such a thing that made me smile. Sap.

2 comments:

  1. He can be very sweet when he wants to. I know it was done more for MK's sake than mine; I'll take what little I get ;-).

    ReplyDelete

Squash Bloom

Squash Bloom
I found a new setting on my camera for shooting flowers!

Bean #1

Bean #1
So far, we have three bean pods. Bugs are eating the leaves.

Bean #2

Bean #2

Bean #3

Bean #3

Second Strawberry

Second Strawberry
The birds found the first strawberry (pictured yesterday) and ate right out of the center of it! This is a new one that showed up today. I'm sure it will be gone soon. We have buds for more.

"FLOWERS" NOT

"FLOWERS"  NOT
Actually, squash, lettuce, flowers, and grass where we planted what were supposed to be flowers! This is what happens when children help you garden. But, the squash looks excellent!

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest

Our Recession Garden & First Harvest
These are the beautiful squash plants growing where we planted what the package said was FLOWERS! Actually, I think MK may have mis-labled them in the spring planter box we started everything in.

Peony

Peony
The peonies were beautiful only a few days before being ruined by rain.

Leaf Lettuce

Leaf Lettuce
Recovering from being beat down by rain

First Harvest from Recession Garden

First Harvest from Recession Garden
This is actually from a "thinning" of the garden.

Parsley

Parsley

One and Only Strawberry

One and Only Strawberry
The birds had not found this strawberry, and so far, it is the largest one we've ever had left on the vine.

Onions

Onions
We planted MANY onions, but this is the only patch growing well. We thin it to get our green onions and they are tasty!

Potato Plants

Potato Plants
They are growing like crazy!

Hosta

Hosta
Aren't the leaves pretty?

Potato Plant Blooms

Potato Plant Blooms
Pretty light purple with bright yellow centers. I've never seen any before.

Our First Recession Garden Salad

Our First Recession Garden Salad

First White Rose of Summer

First White Rose of Summer
This is the first bloom on the white rosebush this spring.

Max the Mouse

Max the Mouse
Max the Mouse in Cinderella, Cinderella

Sledding Fun

Sledding Fun
FUN!

Sledding

Sledding
Another one bites the dust

More Sledding

More Sledding

Oh, that's gotta hurt!

Oh, that's gotta hurt!
And yet, another one bites the dust . . . er, snow.